I’m back friends! It is fitting that my blogging comeback starts with these cupcakes, since they are what I made to bring back to my roommates after spring break. I had so much energy to start the quarter and wanted to celebrate with something delicious. There will be a 12 Things post coming soon to give y’all an update, so be on the lookout!
This is a basic chocolate cupcake recipe that can be applied elsewhere very easily! I used almond milk because its what I have, but feel free to use any milk. This cupcake recipe can also be very easily made vegan with a flax egg substitiute. I made them that way with vegan peanut butter frosting for Maddie Deer’s birthday.
Bake well my lovelies! These cupcakes are delicious.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Ganache Filling and Strawberry Frosting
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Minced Strawberries
- 2 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside for now.
- 2. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda together and set aside.
- 3. In a second bowl, whisk unsweetened cocoa powder and warmed milk. It can be warmed in the microwave, and taken out before boiling. Let mixture cool for a minute.
- 4. Whisk in sugar, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla.
- 5. Whisk in a flour mixture until just combined.
- 5. Pour mixture evenly into the 12 cupcake liners. Each should be filled up to 1/2 a cm from the top of the liner.
- 6. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
- 7. Remove cupcakes from pan to cool completely. This should take at least an hour.
- 1. Microwave heavy cream to boiling and add to a bowl with the chocolate chips.
- 2. Let sit for 2 minutes before whisking the chocolate mixture smooth.
- Let sit to thicken while cupcakes cool. Should still be runny and spoonable when your cupcakes are ready.
- 1. Cream the butter and the first 1/2 cup of powdered sugar together with electric mixer.
- 2. Mix in minced strawberries.
- 3. Slowly add the rest of the powdered sugar until you’ve reached the desired consistency. You can use more or less sugar as you see fit.
- 1. Cut a small conical hole into each cooled cupcake. The large part of the cone at the top and making sure only to cut 1/2-3/4 into the cupcake or your filling will come through the bottom.
- 2. Cut the pointed part of the cupcake extraction off and set aside or eat.
- 3. Spoon the ganache mixture into each cupcake’s hole so that it is no more than 1/2 full and plug with the previously extracted cupcake top. If you overfill, your ganache mixture will flow out when you try to plug it.
- 4. Frost the cupcake like normally! I used a piping bag!
Let me know how this recipe goes for you! Feel free to use the following image to pin to your Pinterest boards too.